Saturday, January 17, 2009

Rehab

"Does that hurt?"
"No,it's cool."

I think the sweat that broke out on my forehead betrayed my exterior cool as she dug her knuckles into my IT band and pushed down toward my knee. Damn, that hurt, but I certainly wasn't going to let her know. I'm cool as a cucumber, until the next push down the leg that elicits a groan that I couldn't hold.

"Ok. A couple more then I'll show you some stretches that will help."

Damn. She got me. So, I'm back in physical therapy for what I thought was a knee problem, but turns out is Iliotibial band syndrome. The tightening of the IT band was putting extra stress on my knee causing the to ache. It's a relief to find out that it isn't a knee issue and with some PT and stretching I should be good to go in short order. Go ahead dig those knuckes in. Let's do this.

Now that I know that I should be to go for racing this spring I'm starting to get the bug again. It's time to find some races (short races) and get training. Definitely on the schedule is the Flying Pig Relay and the Heart Mini-Marathon. I'm also gonna take a shot at the Trail Run Series this summer. The last time I ran the East Fork Backpack Trail Run was in '06 and it took a pair of sun glasses and some skin off my knees. I want revenge. It's time to get out and run.

No comments: