Thursday, September 20, 2007

The Advantages of Running at 5 AM


Disclaimer: This blog entry is an attempt to delude, I mean convince, myself that getting up at 5 am to run is in fact a great idea. I mean I'm going to be doing it over the next few months, so let the deluding, I mean convincing begin!

1. It's better than coffee. I'm not a huge coffee drinker, but I do like those bottled Starbucks Frappuccino drinks in the morning. A good run in the morning is a great way to get the blood flowing and a nice shot of endorphins.

2. I avoid the heat of the day. For a little while longer temps are still hitting in the low 80's. I'm not a fan of running in the heat. So, for the time being it's nice to run before the sun comes rises. Now that's going to be a different story come November and December. Let's just not think about that right now.

3. When work is done it's family time. I can't convince my wife and daughter to get up at 5 am and hang out with me. So, I guess it's better for the marriage if I spend time with her after work sometimes instead of running or cycling all the time.

4. Running in the dark can be fun! We live on a pretty safe, out of the way road, so running in the dark is fairly safe as long as I don't trip and fall on my face! This morning I felt like I was in my own personal horror movie. I was running in the pitch black of our street where there are no street lights, so the only lights I had were the lights of a few scattered houses with their lights on. I was surrounded by the woods and the sounds of small animals like squirrels and large animals like deer scurrying away. I only hope I don't run into the mean ass pack of turkeys that roam the neighborhood. That would be a horror.

Help convince me. What are some other advantages?

6 comments:

mrnoll said...

I found that my runs that were that early in the morning were of better quality. It took longer for me to warmup, but my runs were faster with alot less effort, plus they were much more enjoyable - could be I'm a morning person by nature. Anyhow, I've always contributed it to the fact that my body was completely fresh when starting out, rather than running after work, or in the evening when I already had completed a full day of activities. Good luck with the new schedule.

Anonymous said...

1. It'll make you feel tougher. When crap happens the rest of the day, it'll be like 'I ran 12 miles this morning in the dark, this little problem is nothing compared to that.'

2. Your happy endorphins will make your eyeballs rose-colored, thus enhancing the view of everything else.

3. Justifies a hella-good afternoon nap.

Anonymous said...

the two above comments i could'nt agree with more.

running at 5am is very nice. i have in the past ran at 6, 7 am and 5 am is just so much better. it feels better when its dark and u do seem to go 'harder' and faster with less effort.

also, the rest of your day feels better to live, it really 'wakes you up' and it does make you sleep like a baby in the afternoon.

Anonymous said...

hehe, this morning was my first of many (1st mara in 5 mos) 5am run... i tripped and fell over head over heals, and @ mile 4 of a planned 5M run, my bowels decided I should walk and work on my glutes :P

Unknown said...

Good luck with your training! What marathon are your training to run?

Lauren C said...

Running outside is great up until it gets cold and icy. Living in Chicago, this happens quite often. I like to use an elliptical machine during the winter months to stay in shape!