Sunday, January 06, 2008

The Final Long Run


Yesterday we had the final long run before Disney. It was also our final official Team In Training group run. As far as long runs go it was very short at only 6 miles, but this was more about meeting up for the last time, giving each other a pat on the back for all the hard work and ironing out plans for the trip to Orlando. I can't believe it is finally here!


It's time to get my stuff together. Above I have my singlet that I received for the race. I've got some iron on letters to put my name on it, so I can elicit some cheers while running so far away from home. I also need to find some sort of white clothing paint or ink. I will be carrying the names of people that I will be running for somehow. My initial plan was to get ribbons and put the names on it, but if I can put it directly on the singlet that would be even better. Then I will be a keepsake and reminder of this great event.



The people I will be running for thanks to some wonderful donations:



Blanche Iker, Janet Chaney, Dalmer Wells, Dotty Radenheimer, Jim Grau, Jeff Atkins, Helen Atkinson, Henry Kundzicz, Betty Mussey, Sue Garner, Inez Minton, Hans Wunsch, David Minton, Patricia Bogart, Kay Paff, Patty Wolf, and Katie Seibert.



These are all people that have been through, battling, or died from some form of cancer. This is the first time that I've put all the names in a list. It really puts things into perspective. It's been 5 months of training and fundraising. It seemed monumental, but I could have stopped at any time. I'm going to run 26.2 miles, but I don't have to, my life doesn't depend on it. These people have battled or are battling a disease that could take their lives. They don't have a choice, they can't just stop. I am proud to carry their names.

2 comments:

Jodi said...

Ahh! I see you're doing the Flying Pig marathon. I'm jealous.

Kelownagurl said...

Wow, I've never really looked through your blog before - it's awesome! I can't believe how many races you've done. I hope your Disney marathon was successful - looking forward to reading about it!!