Thursday, June 08, 2006

6/06 - 6/08/2006 Bicycling & Strength Training

6/06/2006 Bicycling

I decided to try to commute to work at least once a week, maybe twice if all goes well. The question was, how long would it take me to do it, and which route to take. I could take the back roads which would take longer (not necessarily a bad thing), or I could take a more direct route which would be quicker, yet have more traffic. As it turned out the more direct route is going to be the one. While it does have more traffic it will still be safer. There is a good 5-6 foot area to ride on off the side of the right lane. In the heaviest traffic areas I won't have to be on the road at all. It should work out nicely.

I rode approximately 30 miles in 1 hour 50 minutes. I don't have the details from the ride with me, so I'll come back and edit those in later. It is going to be a good commute of about 25 miles with a good sized hills to climb, including a monster mile long hill at the beginning, and flat runs. I'll be good and awake by the time I get to work, and will allow me to put on some good mileage this year.


6/08/2006 Strength Training

I had to take my bicycle into the shop to have some loose spokes adjusted, so I was unable to start my commuting this morning. In leu of that I decided to hit the gym for some strength training. I didn't have time to do the eliptical work, but I did some stretching after I was done. It felt good.

JC Bands Lunges with rows, Blue Bands - 12 each side.
Wall sit w/20 lb. wts.
bicep curls = 90 seconds
shoulder press = 90 seconds
walking lunges = width of court/back doing lat raises with 15lb. wts
hip adductor=2 sets/12 reps 90 lbs.
hip abductor=2 sets/12 reps 90 lbs.
lower leg raise w/overhead 8lb (abs) 2x25
Stretching = 10 minutes

No comments: