Thursday, June 22, 2006

6/22/2006 Running & Commuting

This was my first training run in almost 2 weeks. I got out with Rick early and we did the usual 30 minutes 3.3 minutes. My running felt nice and smooth with no pain. I kicked it up a bit in the last mile and dropped Rick pretty quickly. What can I say? I was feeling good and my legs took over.


The first half of my commute was a nice ride. I used the same trip that I used the first commute day and it seems to be working out pretty well. I did feel some back pain during the last 4-5 miles of the commute. I'm beginning to wonder if it's my positioning on the bike. I'll have to ask Jason about that the next time I go in to have my bike tuned. Other than that is was a smooth ride. The trip home will be tougher today. We're looking at 90+ degree heat and heavy traffic. Good times.

Odo: 513.4 miles
Dist: 21.92 miles
Time: 1:23:20
Avg: 15.7 mph
Max: 46.1 mph

The trip home was quite an adventure. Heavy thunderstorms moved in during the afternoon, but I decided to try to push through anyway. It wasn't too bad really. I got dumped on a couple times, which was actually okay considering the alternative, had it not rained, would have been 95 degree heat. The first time was in Mt. Lookout, where I got pelted with a heavy hard rain. By the time I reached the Beechmont Levy it was completely dry as I had moved out of that storm front. I ran into another one going into Eastgate and once again got pelted with a heavy rain that eased up to a light rain.

It was looking like everything was going to be fine until I blew a tire five miles from home in a down pour. Luckily I was close to some restaurants where I was able to take cover and call for a ride home. I was too wet and exhausted to look at the cause when I got home. My father-in-law thought it might have been the temp differential between the heated up tire and the cold rain. I'll have to check that out.

Total Stats for commute:
Odo: 529.4 miles
Dist: 37.93 miles
Time: 2:25:33
Avg: 15.6 mph
Max: 46.1 mph

No comments: