Sunday, June 11, 2006

6/09 - 6/11/2006 Running & Bicycling

6/09/2006 Running

I wasn't really planning on doing any running this week. My knee was bothering me a bit during and after last Sunday's race so I thought I would take a week off the running and let it heal a bit. I really wanted to put in more bicycling time, but after I had to take it to the shop I realized that wasn't going to happen either. So we roll up on Friday evening, and I'm faced with an evening to myself. So what do I do? I let Rick talk me into going running with him! Doh! Ahhh, I probably would have wasted the few hours I had playing on the computer anyway, so it was nice to get outside. We ran 3+ miles in 30 minutes. I say 3+ because I'm not sure how far exactly; I ran to meet him and then we took off together.

It was a good run and much needed. My legs were really sore from Thursday's strength training session, more sore than they have been in a long time for some reason. I think it was because I did it early in the morning and then sat on my ass at work all day. The lack of blood flow to the muscles probably made them ache all the more. Just a guess. Anyway, it was a good run that helped ease the soreness.

6/11/2006 Bicycling - Cincinnati Cycle Club River Rendezvous.

After I got my bike back on Friday evening I was faced with a day of pouring rain. So, there was no riding on Saturday. I was beginning to think there would be no ride today either, because I woke up to more down pours. I decided to pack up and drive on down in hopes of catching a break in the rain. Lucky enough, we did! It spit and sputtered every once in a while, but for the most part it stayed dry. We spent 2 hours and 45 minutes riding the mapped out roads aroung Northern Kentucky. It was a great time. Here is a quick breakdown:

Odo: 438.2 miles
Distance: 42.59 miles
Time: 2:41:36
Avg: 15.8 mph

I was riding with 3 other people of varying ability. One guy was a machine and could easily outride us all. He would ride on up a few miles, slow down to let us catch up or turn around and ride back to bring someone up. He's a tough rider. The two ladies were slightly below my level. Well, one was pretty close to me, but I frequently outpaced her during the ride, so I would say a little below. It left me in an interesting position. Often I found myself fighting to keep up with super stud, or slowing down to let the other two riders. It made for an interesting ride. Actually, just getting out and riding in a group was very enjoyable regardless of how fast or slow we were riding. Having someone to talk to made the miles fly by.

I didn't feel any real discomfort until we hit about the 35 mile mark. At that point I started to feel the typical discomfort and back pain that I get sometimes on the bike after a while. It was concerning me for a while, but I'm beginning to think that it's just fatigue and as I work more core muscles and get stronger it will be less of an issue.

This ride has sparked an interes in taking part in more group rides. It was a lot of fun, and with the right group it could be very productive.

No comments: