Friday, June 02, 2006

5/31-6/02/2006 Catching up and Setting Goals for Sunday's Race

5/31/2006 Running

Tuesday night I ended up working overnight, which means I worked from 3pm on Tuesday until 8:30 on Wednesday morning. That, my friends, is a long, long night. I get home take a 3 hour nap, get up do a little cleaning and such and decide I'm going to go for a run. In my exhaustion clouded mind I didn't think about the fact that it was 90+ degrees outside and very sunny. Where am I going with all this? Well, I get about 2.5 miles, and to the top of the first climb of run, into a 5 mile run and the heat and exhaustion hit me like a ton of bricks.

I ended up half running, and half walking the rest of the run. I don't really see this as a big failure, because it was more stupidity and I shouldn't have gone out in the first place. In the end, I finished a 5 mile run/walk in 60 approximately minutes. Not too shabby.

6/01/2006 Strength Training/Abs Class/ Spinning

eliptical = 10 minutes on Fat Burning
JC Bands Lunges with rows, Blue Bands - 12 each side.
Wall sit w/20 lb. wts.
bicep curls = 1 1/2 minutes
shoulder press = 1 1/2 minutes
walking lunges = width of court/back doing lat raises with 15lb. wts
hip adductor=2 sets/12 reps 90 lbs.
hip abductor=2 sets/12 reps 90 lbs.

Abs Class.

What can you say about 30 minutes of abs other than oooouuuuch!

Spinning Class.

This was a 60 minute interval class. It was a nice mix of in the saddle, and out of saddle, sprints beginning with "flat" road and moving into "mountain" sprints. This is my favorite class, well maybe this or race day. Race day is so much fun and I always get really pumped for those days.

6/02/2006 Running

This morning is going to be the last run before Sunday's 5K race. I really wasn't planning on running this morning, except Rick called me out, so I had to answer. We ran a 3 mile run in 26 minutes. It wasn't at a tough pace, but comfortable. I ran on another mile or so back and forth to the meet up point. It was a very nice last run for the race.


The Race: Redlegs Run For Home 5K

I had a personal best during the Tri for Joe on the 1st 5K with a time of 21:25.52 and a pace of 6:55. I was thinking about setting a 21 minute goal for this race. I am beginning to think that is a little unrealistic considering that course was completely flat. I don't know anything about this course, and there is a chance that it could be a flat course if they take it along the river. On the other hand if they take it over the bridges or into the city there could be a lot of hill running. With that in mind, I'm going to set a more manageable goal of 22 minutes. This is running at a 7 minute 4 second pace. I think this is a very reasonable goal.

No comments: