Tuesday, June 13, 2006

6/13/2006 Bicycling: A Failed attempt at Commuting

I made my first attempt at commuting on my bike this morning. I got about 3 1/2 miles down the road, actually up the road as in up a big hill, when I realized I forgot something important I needed for work, doh! I had to turn around and go home, and after that there was no way I would've made in time.

The attempt was a good lesson though. I realized the extra weight from my bag is going to be more of a challenge than I thought, especially at the beginning where I'm faced with a mile long hill to climb on Rt. 32. So, even though the ride was only 7 miles I got in two very challenging hills. Due to road construction I had to come up Filager hill instead of going up 132 hill to Filager. Filager hill is grueling on its own, but with an extra 10 lbs. on my back it was extra, extra, extra, super hard. There was an interesting benefit that may come of the commuting though. I found it much easier to stay in my seat to climb rather than jumping up out of the seat. Lifting an extra 10 lbs. will keep me firmly planted which will make me work on my weakest point, the dreaded seated climb. Another realization: it is still very, very dark at 5 am. I thought I would have at least the beginnings of sunrise, but that doesn' happen until closer to 6 am. I rigged up a head lamp that I use for camping on the front of my bike, but it was essentially useless.

Odo: 445.4 miles
Dist: 7.06 miles
Time: 29:27
Avg: 14.4 mph
Max: 37.1 mph


The failed attempt didn't bother me to much; any time I can spend on my bike is time well spent. I'll give it another go on Thursday when I can leave at 6 am in the light.

No comments: