Saturday, October 14, 2006

10/13 - 10/14/2006 Shakin' the Post Race Blues

I've been experiencing a dip in my motivation over the last couple of weeks. I think it was a bit like post-partum depression. I've been so looking forward to the Little Miami for the last year and now that it is finally over I felt a bit....down. I was going to say let down, but that is not exactly right. It was just a lull in the schedule and I wasn't sure where I was going with my training or what to prepare for next. Everything is starting to come into focus as the fall events start to roll in. I feel that I've been so focused on improving this year and going faster, harder, longer, that it is just time to kick back a little bit and enjoy the fruits of my hard work. Not that I'm going to stop working hard, but I'm going to just relax and take it as it comes. I've got some big plans swimming around in my head for the next two years to think about too! Maybe Iron Man?...

10/13 Interval Running & Cycling

I'm not a big fan of tread mills (hamster wheels), but it was quite cold this morning. I decided rather than fight the dark and cold, I'd slide on over to my mom's place and use their club house tread mill. It really wasn't bad at all. I hit it with 6x400 that took about 25 minutes.

Cycling

Rick twisted my arm and talked me into riding this evening. It went a little like this "Hey, man we riding tonight?". Me: "Hmmmm I'm kind of tire....F^&k it, yeah let's go." I don't do a whole lot of riding in the evening, so this was a nice change of pace. We didn't get out on the road until after 7 pm which didn't leave a lot of time to ride before dark, but we made the most of it. I decided to take him on the short loop out 222 to SW Corner Rd to Benton and on home. It's a nice little 11 mile route with a challenging hill right in the middle. I could have made it easier for him, but for me if there isn't a good hill challenge it doesn't feel like a ride at all.

Dist: 10.96 miles
Time: 45:58
Avg: 14.3 mph
Max: 34.2 mph


10/14/2006 Long Run

I never thought of myself as a distance runner of any kind. In high school I'd run 400's, 200's, and 4x400 relay. I got into running in my adult life by way of 5K's and didn't really think I'd run much longer races than that. This past year I've found the 10k's were some of my favorite races. Now I'm looking forward to my first marathon in the spring and my long runs have become my favorite part of my workouts. On this particular run I would have actually liked to run longer, but the bike swap meet was calling my name. More on that later, as for the run it was 6 miles in 51:50. For a training run at a "slow pace" that' s outstanding.

No comments: