Saturday, March 17, 2007

3/16 - 3/17/2007 10.6 GPR & Short Recovery Run

3/16/2007 Goal Pace Run

It's kind of funny that I'd have the best run of the week, maybe in the last month, the day after I had a real crap run. The schedule called for a 9 mile goal pace run. It was a run that I was really not looking forward to doing. Part of the reason was that I was either going to run it on the hamster wheel in the gym, which I dread anymore, or hit the path at Lunken. I liked the path at Lunken when I first started running it, but the long stretches of flat really wear on me. It will be good to use occasionally over the spring and summer to prepare for the flat courses that I run on the duathlons, but right now I need something with a little more variation in terrain.

I found what I was looking for in a little trip to the Running Spot. Have I said lately how great that place is? They have training groups for the Flying Pig going right now, so they have a variety of running routes that leave from the store available. I grabbed the 10.6 mile routeslip and headed out the door. It was so great to get out on a new route, and the best part about it is that it is part of the Flying Pig Marathon course.

Like I said at the beginning of this rambling post. It was the best run I've had in a while. I maintained an pace of about 7:38 mile, which is excellent considering it was pretty cold, and my legs were definitely at less than 100% with some soreness and stiffness from the previous workouts. I also didn't account for the stops I had to make to cross streets and check for traffic, so had I been able to keep up a consistent run it was probably even better. The course was also quite hilly which was great to get some hill work in on the actual race course. The entire run took 1 hour 21 minutes for the 10.6 miles.

3/17/2007 Short Recovery Run

Today was the epitome of short recovery runs. I had to be at work at 7 am, so I hit the treadmill for a very slow and stiff 2.5 miles that took 25 minutes. I don't think I was awake enough until the last 1/2 mile to really feel any pain so that was good.

No comments: