Monday, May 07, 2007

5/06/2007 Flying Pig Marathon


The alarm went off at 4 am. With a 6:30 am start time and a 45 minute drive to the start area I wanted to be sure I had plenty of time get something to eat (pb&j, a banana, and a coffee), get dressed, and take care of any last minute business. I was feeling exceptionally good having slept well for about 5 hours. I had accepted the fact that I wasn't going to sleep well the night before the race since I usually have pre-race jitters, so I just relaxed and settled in for a long night. Apparently I tricked myself into falling into a deep sleep. I wonder if I can trick myself into that again in the future!

After an easy drive downtown due to very little traffic I found a great parking space near the finish area of the race and made my way to the start line. The race day plan was to meet my friend, Jennifer, at the start line and run with at the beginning of the marathon. She was running the half marathon, and had time goals that were slower than my own. This would be a perfect way to slow myself down at the beginning of the marathon. I knew the worst thing I could do is get swept up in the excitement and the rush at the beginning. I really needed to slow down, and save as much as I could for the end of the race.

I felt surprisingly relaxed as we lined up in the middle of the pack off the start line. I could see the pace groups with their signs sticking up above the crowd. A short distance ahead of us I could see the 3:30 pace group sign. If I could catch the 3:30 pace group at some point, run with them for a while, and then propel myself forward for a glorious finish. Visions of crossing the finish line amid cheering masses filled my head as we stood there watching the sun peek over the horizon, making small talk to fill the time before the start.

Looking back my first mistake came within the first two miles of the gun going off. Since we were in the middle of the pack the start was slow, but not so slow that we didn't cross the start line about a minute after the official start. We jogged the first half mile on the wide road heading east toward the first bridge to cross into Kentucky. I watched the 3:30 pace group pull away and turn the first corner. I forced myself to keep it slow and stay with Jennifer. We laughed and joked to keep things light, but my legs wanted to go. I started to pick up the pace and weave through the crowd Jennifer encouraging me on. I was thinking we would weave up until the crowd thinned out, and then slow it down to a nice comfortable groove. Shortly after the first mile marker I turned to check behind me to be sure that Jennifer was still there, but she was gone. Oops. I slowed and looked over my shoulder for her to no avail. Maybe I could've stopped and waited, maybe I should have been more patient, but the legs wanted to go! I pushed on ahead and picked up the pace.

I eased in to a nice pace and the miles began to pass by easily. I put in my earbuds, and turned on Phedippidations to ease myself through the early miles. What a bit of good luck that a show about first marathons was released in the same week that I was running my first marathon. I tried to listen as stories of first marathon triumphs and disasters were shared, but I was really so far absorbed in the moment, the sounds of the spectators on the sides of the roads, and the good vibes of the runners around me that most of the podcast was lost on me. Those early miles are kind of a blur as we crossed the bridge into Kentucky wound through Covington, crossed back into Cincinnati and headed out of town toward the east side of town.

Sometime around mile 8 I caught up with the 3:30 pace group. I was excited to see that I was running so well. I was feeling great, and obviously hitting sub 8 minute miles already. I was concerned for about a minute that I was running too fast, but then dismissed it. This was my second mistake. I should have taken that concern to heart. Instead I stuck with the 3:30 pace group for a few miles, and then pulled ahead of the pace group.

Miles 16-18 were amazing. I met up with my family around mile 16, which was a huge rush. Very rarely do I have my own cheering section at any of the races I compete in, but this was a big deal and I had lots of support. These were the best miles as I worked my way through Mariemont where the course was at it's farthest east point and turned back toward downtown. I was buoyed by my family support, but unfortunately the good feelings wouldn't last long.

It was at about mile 19 that I got my first cramp. My left calf seized up. I stopped and worked it out, then moved on. It was at this point that the 3:30 group caught and passed me. I moved back on to the course and followed the 3:30 group hoping that I would be able to keep up. It wasn't to be though. My quads began to burn then take on a curious feeling like they were turning to stone. This was the beginning of the end for me. By mile 21 I was battling off cramps in both calves and quads. I began to alternate by running to a mile marker, then taking a one minute walk break, then running on to the next mile marker. I was beyond hitting the wall. I was now throwing myself against the wall repeatedly in an effort to keep my legs moving.

Those final five miles were unlike anything I've ever experienced. The closest was when I bonked on my first century last year. Those final miles were similar in some ways, but this was far more painful. I think the problems I had in those final miles can be attributed to a combination of factors. The obvious factors of coming out to fast early on, and then continuing the quick pace through the middle miles. Less obvious to me at the time though was my sweating and loss of electrolytes. This may have been an even larger factor than my assumed too quick pace. I won't really know for sure, but I never felt overly winded throughout the race. I was taking in plenty of fluids and gels. The major problem was never exhaustion like I've felt before, but the cramps. It was a hard lesson to learn, but one I'll take to heart. I've been thinking about picking up some electrolyte supplements anyway, so this may be the final straw.

This is almost a week after the race. I've had some time to get things in perspective, and recover a bit. There is no doubt that I am going to do another marathon, because this was an incredible experience. Not only was it an incredible experience, but I think I can definitely do better, and I love a challenge. As a matter of fact I've already contacted the Team In Training group about doing the Walt Disney World Marathon in January 2008!



Split 1: 17:10 Miles 1 & 2 pace: 8:35
Split 2: 1:17:46 Miles 3 - 12 pace: 7:46
Split 6: 8:46 Mile 13 pace: 8:46 (restroom break)
Split 7: 7:21 Mile 14 pace: 7:21
Split 8: 15:20 Mile 15 & 16 pace: 7:40
Split 9: 32:50 Mile 17,18,19 pace: 10:56 (friends and family)
Split 10: 16:51 Mile 20 & 21 pace: 8:25
Split 11: 18:16 Mile 22 & 23 pace: 9:08
Split 12: 10:47 Mile 24 pace: 10:47
Split 13: 12:07 Mile 25 - 26.2 pace: 10:05

Half Split 1:43:41 pace: 7:54
19.3 Split 2:33:49 pace: 7:58
25.2 Split 3:27:24 pace: 8:13
26.2 Miles 3:37:14 pace: 8:17

No comments: