Tuesday, May 29, 2007

A Great Weekend of Riding

Even though I've been close to a hundred miles ahead of where I was in terms of riding miles last year I still feel like it's just not enough. I want more time to ride! I recently read a news report (that I can't find right now) that reported that some scientists are working on changing the days to a 25 hour day instead of a 24 hour day. I'm not sure how that would work out. How can you change the length of a day that is based on the natural rising and setting of the sun. It seems like a freakishly unnatural science experiment that can't lead to good things. I guess if it means we get one more hour to do what we want with I'm for it. I'm just wondering how long it would take businesses to decide to go to a standard 9 hour work day versus 8, or basically just adding an hour on to whatever a normal workday is for everyone. I'm guessing not long.

Well I did have some time to get in some riding this weekend. Nice segue, no? Anyway I got in another commute on Saturday. It wasn't a complete commute to work and back, but I'm counting it. I have to be in by 11 am, so I left a little earlier than I needed to get in a few extra miles. I just love commuting in the morning before the heat of the day hits. I took my time and took a few side roads and detours to bring the ride up to 30 miles instead of the usual 25 miles. The ride home was an abbreviated trip, but for good reason: ice cream! There is a great little ice cream stand that serves excellent soft serve in Newtown, which is about halfway between work and home. I rode down to their to meet my wife for some refreshing chocolate soft serve. That may have to become the regular route for my commute every other weekend.

On the Monday Memorial Day holiday a buddy of mine and I went on a great 40 mile ride. Part of it being great was just having somebody with which to ride. I spend so much time riding alone that I often forget how much better riding is with a group or companion. We rode out of Batavia up to Milford where we caught the bike trail. From there we went on up to Loveland where we stopped for a bagel and a rest at one of the local delis. There were lots of people out on the trail despite the dark clouds and the spitting rain. It was really a great day for riding since the clouds and spitting rain kept the temperatures at a comfortable mid 60 range .

I tried something a little different with my nutrition for the ride. I ate more. I used S! Caps during the ride, which I am convinced now are helping with fatigue. I also brought along a packet of Gu, and a small baggy of almonds. I used one cap every hour, ate the Gu about an hour into the ride, and ate the almonds every time we stopped for a rest. I felt pretty good throughout the ride, and when it came time to attack the final hill heading home I had energy to spare. So there it is, my nutrition plan, eat more.

No comments: