Thursday, May 24, 2007

In Between Races

My original intent was to set up a training plan that would span the next 21 weeks starting right after the Tri for Joe Du. I worked on the plan for about a week, but kept running into these blocks. There is only a 2 week period between Tri for Joe and Deer Creek. That doesn't leave me a lot of time to start a new plan. I have a consistently shifting work schedule. That makes it kind of hard to stick to a strict training plan. We also recently canceled our gym membership. It was a bit on the expensive side, so I'm going to have to find a new place to do my strength training. I'm kind of sad to be losing that membership, because it was such a great facility. Planning for 21 weeks is hard!

Instead of setting down a strict schedule for the next 21 weeks I'm going to set some guidelines and break it down into smaller chunks and work toward goals along the way. For instance, right after Deer Creek I'll have about 5 weeks until my next "A" race at Caesar Creek. In that 5 week period I'll start up some speed and endurance work for the bike and run again. I'll keep my runs relatively short until mid August to September. At that time I'll start ramping up the runs toward October's half marathon and on up to a winter marathon.

My general training plan is to get in approximately 3-4 runs a week. I'll concentrate on short to medium recovery runs, mixed with bricks, tempo runs, speed workouts and long runs. I'll try to get in 3-4 rides in as well working similar areas as the runs.

It all sounds kind of vague right now, but I think I need vague for a while. After the strict workout schedule all spring I need a bit of a break to mentally recuperate and have some fun. It's called the Wheelie Fun Series, so let's have some fun...and kick some ass.

No comments: