Wednesday, May 17, 2006

5/17/2006 Running & Tri for Joe Race Goals

Rick and I hit our running again this morning. It was quite a nice morning, very cool and foggy. It was perfect running weather. I was coming off a late 2nd shift so I was a bit tired after getting about 4 hours of sleep. The run really woke me up and got me going for the day. We ran our customary 2.3 miles. I don't have a time on it, but I'm guessing it took about 30 minutes. Actually, mine was a little longer as I started to run toward his house to get warmed up. After we finished up I decided to run the 3 mile loop backwards. This means I ran down the .5 mile hill on Rt 132 and then back up the extremely steep .3 mile monster on Filager. That hill hurt... a lot.

I was running up to the base of the hill wondering what the hell I was thinking, and maybe if I walked just a little that would be ok. I didn't give in to those urges. I pushed on up the hill feeling every painful step and trying not to gasp for breath. I'm learning to better control my breathing while I run, which seems to be key to running a good race. If I can control my breathing and keep from gasping I find that I can recover more quickly once reaching the top of the hill and find my pace again. I ran 6.5 miles in approximately 65 minutes.

It shouldn't be an issue this weekend because it is a very flat course. I'm looking forward to seeing how the hills translate into flat speed if at all. I'm also looking forward to testing out the new shoes!! I have set up some very specific for the Tri for Joe.

Tri for Joe Du goals:
24 minute 1st 5K
60 minute Bicycle
24 minute 2nd 5K
1 minute per transition

Total: 1 hour 50 minutes

No comments: