Thursday, May 25, 2006

5/24-5/25/2006 Swimming, Running, Bicycling

5/24/2006 Swimming

I was feeling pretty sore Tuesday after the race. I took the day off Monday and just relaxed, but I did have to a lot of driving, about 2 hours, and worked, which means sitting on my ass for 8 1/2 hours. I did get out and walk on my lunch break, which helped a bit. Tuesday morning I was feeling stiff and really wanted to do something. We took Aiden to our gym and the indoor pool to do some swimming. While they were playing around I decided to do a few laps in the lap pool to see if I have any swimming skills left. I also need to get in some more upper body work this summer to get ready for the fall Little Miami Triathlon.

It was pretty tough. I swam 10 lengths or 5 laps. That would be 250 yards or 228 meters. I'm not sure why this matters, but a sprint distance triathlon is 750 meters. So, if I want to do another tri, which I'm not planning right now, I'm gonna have to get that distance up. It is something that I would like to do again at some point, maybe as a change up when I get tired of the duathlons.

5/25/2006 Running and Bicycling

It was quite a busy day today beginning at 6 am with a run. Rick and I got out and ran our customary route on Meghan's Run and Filager. We pushed Rick's mileage up a bit from the 2.3 miles that he had been running to approx. 2.8 miles with the extra loop on the back side of Meghan's Run. It took approx. 30 minutes, which is shows progress. We are getting closer to getting him under a 10 min/mile which is where he needs to be to get a respectable race time.

I went on to run 3.6 total on Meghan's and Filager and an additional 3 mile loop around 222 and 132. I was able to run 6.6 miles in 61 minutes. I was very happy with the run, and was able to kick it up a bit at the end, which was even better. I split out a time on the 1/2 mile hill and came out with 5 minutes 5 seconds. It is getting easier to climb the hill, and I'm finding that the recovery at the top is easier.

Bicycling

I had some time yesterday while our dog was at the groomer, so I decided to get some cycling in on my old turf in N Ky. I rode from Ludlow out Rte. 8 and back. It's a nice long straight stretch along the Ohio River with lots of rolling hills. I stayed on this road along the river, so there were no major climbs, but the accumulation of the rolling hills was a very good workout and wore me out. Here are the stats:

Odo: 337.7 miles
Dist: 30.72 miles
Time: 1:51:33
Avg: 16.5 mph
Max: 32.2 mph

I found that I started to wear out at about 20 miles, and found it hard to keep up a pace above 18 mph. This isn't bad though, and much better than a cruising pace of 16 mph that I used to fall back on. A new goal I have set for myself for this year is to complete a Century ride, 100 miles in a day. I could probably complete it now, but it would definitely hurt a lot. By the end of the 30 mile ride my back was sore, and I was ready to get off the bike. It was a great ride along Route 8 and I finally got to see where the West direction ends. Lots of fun. :)

No comments: