Thursday, December 21, 2006

12/19 - 12/20/2006 Running, Strength, Spinning

12/19/2006 Running

I'm kind of enjoying this time between race season and starting marathon training. There are no intervals to do, and I can run whatever I feel. Feeling an 8 mile run today? Let's rock and roll. Going for 8, but not feeling it so much? 6 miles is cool. On the other hand I still feel the drive to keep going knowing that in January the real miles will begin to accumulate. Otherwise I'd eventually get bored and run less and less. I need that drive to compete to keep me going. In the meantime, though I'm enjoying this downtime.

I've decided to forgo the ADEO GPS unit for now. I'm happy using gmap-pedometer and staying light weight with just my shuffle providing tunes. I had a great 6.5 mile run on my usual route that took about 55 minutes.

12/20/2006 Strength & Spinning

Elliptical = 15 minutes on Fat Burning
JC Bands Lunges with rows, Grey Bands - 12 each side.
Wall sit w/20 lb. wts.
2 sets bicep curls = 75 seconds each
2 sets shoulder press = 75 seconds each
Walking lunges = width of court/back doing lat raises with 15lb. wts
Balance Drill = 3 minute on each foot
Hip adductor = 2 sets/12 reps 105 lbs.
Hip abductor = 2 sets/12 reps 105 lbs.
clamshell crunches = 2 sets of 25 w/8lb. ball

Spinning (Endurance & Speed)

I dropped in to a spinning class after finishing up with my strength training. This means I only got 30 minutes of spinning with the instructor leaving 30 minutes to make it up for myself. I have a plan that I've been meaning to use, but forgot to take it with me. Here is the 60 minute plan that I pulled from Bicycling Magazine.

10 min. warm-up
8 min. steady state (92-95% of your time-trial heart rate; 90-100% of time-trial power) This is up for interpretation for most of us. Personally I'm going to put on a descent amount of resistance and get my heart rate to around 85%
5 min. recovery spinning
3 min. fast pedal (high cadence, low gear/resistance)
8 min. steady state
5 min. recovery spinning
3 min. fast pedal
8 min. steady state
10 min. recovery spinning

As I said though I didn't get to use it. The class I did went a little something like this:

30 minutes of endurance class
5 minute recovery
5 minute fast pedal
2 minute recovery
2 minute fast pedal (cadence 100-120)
2 minute recovery
2 minute fast pedal (cadence 100-120)
2 minute left leg only
2 minute right leg only
2 minute left leg only
2 minute right leg only
4 minute cool down
total: 60 minutes

I'm no trainer or spinning expert, but it felt like a good workout and breaking it down into small increments really made the time move along.

No comments: