Thursday, December 07, 2006

12/7/2006 Looking Forward to '07

As I am looking forward to the coming year I was faced with a decision. I had to make a decision whether I wanted to try something new and do more, or if I was going to work toward getting better at what I'm doing. To be more specific I had to choose whether I was going to move on from duathlons to triathlons and work my way up to an Ironman event. The decision has come down to two factors: time and desire.

The first factor of time is obviously important for several different reasons. In order to properly prepare for the triathlons I'd have to set aside more time for training to devote to swimming. Since I already have a fairly full schedule with family, work, and workout time this time would have to come from out of family, work, or sleep time. I can accept some loss of sleep time, maybe not too much, but I am willing to get up at 5 am for the Master's Swimming that happens on Thursdays and carve out another early morning to do some swimming. However, with my erratic work schedule it wouldn't be enough, so I'd have to take some time from family time to get in as much swimming as it would take to actually get to a level at which I'd be happy performing. My wife is already very understanding about the time I devote to running, cycling, and time spent at the gym. To ask for more just seems selfish.

That brings me to my other deciding factor: desire. If I'm going to be selfish and take the time that it would require to do the work do I have the desire to do it? The simple answer to that question is no. I was pretty excited for a while about doing the triathlons after listening to the exploits of other triathletes on Simply Stu Podcast and Get Your Geek On! Podcast. When it comes down to it though I'm just not that excited about the swim portion of the race. I'm a pretty decent swimmer that grew up around water, but after my one triathlon experience back in 2000 I realize there is a big difference between swimming laps in a pool and being pummeled in the middle of a pack during an open water swim. It's just not that appealing to me. So, if not all that excited about it now, I can imagine how I'll feel by the end of the summer. Why exactly would I want to put myself through something that I wouldn't get at least some enjoyment from doing? There is really no good reason.

After these and other considerations I've decided that at least for 2007 I am going to concentrate on the sprint distance duathlon. I will racing approximately 8 sprint distance duathlons next year culminating with 5 races in the Wheelie Fun Series. The series will be a lot of fun, because it will feel like a real season complete with points standings and prizes. I've been tossing around the idea of doing this since early this year, and I'm very excited about the opportunity to compete. That is only a small part of next year's season as I look forward to a wide variety of races and events including my first marathon!

The marathon is going to be a huge undertaking for next year. I've got my training plan ready to go, but I'll have to make some adjustments to it to allow for my duathlon training as well. It's going to be interesting to try and find that balance between training for the speed I'll need for the shorter sprint duathlon runs and training for the longer marathon distance.

Here are some of my goals for 2007:
  1. Sub-4 hour Flying Pig Marathon
  2. Sub-20 minute 5K
  3. Sub-40 minute 10K
  4. 2:30 Little Miami Triathlon
  5. 1:20 Sprint Distance Duathlon
  6. Top 50 Finish Run Like Hell 5K
The big question is: how am I going to reach these goals? I'm ironing out the details on my training plan, and I'll be exploring more of that through December. I'll officially start my training for the marathon and spring events in January, so I'm using this month as testing and preparation time. I'm trying out a new spinning class, core class, and looking at a new strength training plan. I've also found a new gps gadget that might help keep me motivated over the coming cold months and encourage me to get outside despite the frigid weather. I'm going to take Motion Lingo's Adeo for a test spin hopefully this weekend and next week.

Only 65 days until my first race of '07!

No comments: