Saturday, December 30, 2006

12/30 - 12/31/2006 Bicycling & Long Run

12/30/2006 Bicycling

I was hoping to break that 2000 mile mark for the year, but in December I realized that a) I just didn't have much time to get out and ride on the few nice days that we had. and b) what does it matter? I've already blasted through most of my personal records this year in a stellar year of riding and racing, so to go this one step further wasn't going to be a huge deal, so I let it go. 2007 is a new year with lots of new challenges.

The fact that I knew I wasn't going to break anymore records for the year doesn't mean I quit riding. Those milestones and personal records are really secondary to the fact that I love riding, and I'll take any chance I can to get out for a run or a ride. This Saturday morning presented just that opportunity as my car needed some new tires. New tires? What does new tires have to do with riding? Well rather than sitting around waiting for the tires to be put on, or having my wife follow me to the mechanic's and then driving me back home, what better excuse to ride is there than to take the car to the mechanic and ride home?

I'd say there are other excuses, but few better. Save gas, get exercise, it's a win-win. For the last ride of the year it was simply glorious.


Odo: 1957.6 miles
Dist: 25.13 miles
Time: 1:42.14
Avg: 14.7 mph
Max: 35.9 mph

12/31/2006 Long Run

The last run of the year was a different story. It was a cold, wet, stiff, aching story of 64 minutes of pain and exhaustiion. That may be overstating it a little bit, but not by much. It was drizzling and cold, about 35 degrees when I left the house. I didn't think much of it, and was kind of excited to run in the rain when I first left. By the midway point it turned into a downpour. I was at the mid-point so there was no sense in turning around so I pushed on. By the time I approached the 132 hill I was stiff and cold. I slowed to a walk for about 20 yards to catch my breath and get a little rest in before tackling the hill. For some reason my heart rate was high the entire time ranging from the mid to high 160's even on the flat road. Usually it hovers in the 150's on the flats. Maybe the cold, or the stiffness, or a combination of both was causing it, but I know it was sapping me very quickly. This was one of the worst runs of the year in terms of enjoyment, maybe only better than the day last summer when I decided to run in the extreme heat of summer on a day after I worked an overnight shift. I am proud of myself though for sticking with it and finishing up the 6 mile run.

No comments: