Monday, February 13, 2006

2/12-2/13/2006 Race Day & Strength Training

2/12/2006 Race Day

The Labor of Love Race has become a nice race to begin the racing year and test of my training regiment. I was very happy with the results from this year. Before I get to the results I would like to discuss the conditions and the course. The weather conditions were cold and windy. It snowed and flurried all morning, but not enough to reall cover the ground. The hour or so before the race it cleared up a little and the sun poked out, but it was still cold and windy. The course is a hilly one. There aren't any monster hills that would wear you down right but the accumulation of 2 miles of up and down hills will certainly wear you out.

The goal was to run the race at under 15 minutes, and I more than met my goal. The first mile was downhill than up, so it was bound to be the faster mile. I also got off to a faster start than I had intended. I got caught up in the race day rush. I finished mile 1 at 6 minutes 35 seconds. The 2nd mile was a little tougher for several reasons. The fatigue set in from a fast mile 1 and there was more up hill during this half. The second mile split comes in at 7 minutes 20 seconds.

Race Time: 13:55

I am extremely happy with this time as it is a full minute faster than last year's race. It was by no means perfect though. I need to watch the starts and not get to caught up in the faster runners' paces. I am looking forward to the Heart Mini-Marathon in March.


2/13/2006 Strength Training

A little light strength training for a day after the race.

eliptical = 10 minutes on Fat Burning
JC BandsLunges with rows, 12 each side.
Wall sit w/15 lb. wts.
bicep curls = 1 minute
shoulder press = 1 minute
walking lunges = width of b-ball court and
backhip adductor=2 sets/12 reps 80 lbs.
hip abductor=2 sets/12 reps 80 lbs.
triple threat = 2 sets/ 12 ea.

No comments: