Friday, November 10, 2006

11/09 - 11/10/2006 Core, Spinning, Intervals & Transition

11/09/2006 Core Class & Spinning

Core Class

It was my first visit back to core class in a while. Unfortunately I showed up late, because of traffic. 15 minutes of ab burning work is better than no minutes. This was the class that I despised last winter, but knew was very beneficial, so I stuck with it...somewhat. It was actually kind of fun today, maybe it was because I haven't done it in a while, but I think it was more due to the fact that I am in much better condition than I was last winter.

One thing I did realize now was issues with my back. When ever we do bosu ball work it kills my back. I thought it was just because of my weak muscles, but I realize now that is not the case. I'm going to talk to the instructor, and modify the workout or find out if it is a problem with my form. I don't want to hurt myself.

Spinning

60 minute Endurance Class
This was a bittersweet return to spinning class. The spinning instructor, and fellow multisport athlete, is leaving the facility to start her own business at another location. I'm very happy for her, but I'm also sad to see her leave. She help me set up the program I'm using for training, and has been a huge source of information and motivation for me. I owe her so much for helping get my ass moving over the last year.

That leads me into the topic of transition. I am moving into a new phase of my life in physical fitness, and racing. The last year has been all about changing my lifestyle, losing weight, and building a base. I think we can say that the base is officially built. Now I need to figure out where to go from here. I kind of know what my goals are for the next year: marathon(s) and triathlons that will lead up to a half Ironman in '07 and Ironman Louisville in '08. Now I just have to figure out how I'm going to get there. I know I'm on the right path in getting started on the swimming now, because that is going to be my weakest leg. Over the next 2 months I'll be putting together a new workout plan to meet my new goals. The big challenge for me is going to be to take my time, not get started too early, so I don't get burned out by next spring.



11/10/2006 Running Intervals

I did my intervals outside for the first time today. Well, it's not the first time I've done intervals outside, but the first in this particular program. It was a much different experience than doing them in the controlled environment of the gym treadmill. On the treadmill I set the pace and am forced to keep up with that pace, or slow it down. I'm always hyper aware of the speed at which I'm running. On the road all I had to rely on were my experience with the stretch of road that I used and the trusty stopwatch/hrm. It was an interesting experience, and it will be useful for future interval training sessions. I now know that on flat ground I run the 400 in about 90 seconds give or take a few seconds, so if I want I don't have to run up and down Filager. I also learned that I can't count. I was supposed to do 10x400 this week, but due to my ADD mind I ended up doing 11x400 according to my stopwatch.

Avg. interval time: 1:30
Total Time: 52:38

13 days to Thanksgiving Day Race!

No comments: