Thursday, November 09, 2006

11/08/2006 Strength, Tempo, Swimming

Strength Training

Elliptical = 15 minutes on Fat Burning
JC Bands Lunges with rows, Grey Bands - 12 each side.
Wall sit w/20 lb. wts.
2 sets bicep curls = 60 seconds each
2 sets shoulder press = 60 seconds each
Walking lunges = width of court/back doing lat raises with 15lb. wts
Hip adductor=2 sets/12 reps 100 lbs.
Hip abductor=2 sets/12 reps 100 lbs.
Clamshell crunch w/overhead 8lb ball 2x25


Tempo Run

The treadmill tempo run was 4.5 miles. I started out with a fairly easy 9 min/mi pace and worked up to a 6.5 min/mi pace. I reached the top speed at 1.5 miles and held it to 3 miles. After 3 miles I tapered down until I walking at 4.25 miles. A quarter mile walk finished off the run that took about 40 minutes.

Swimming

Because strength training and running just wasn't enough I decided to jump into the pool for some laps. I did 20 laps with no breaks mixing up the strokes: 4 crawl, 4 breast stroke, 4 side stroke, 4 backstroke, 4 crawl. It was really tiring doing it after the strength training and the run. It was encouraging though that I felt fairly comfortable in the first 5-6 laps. I was really concerned that I would not like the swimming at all. I'm not really sure where that reservation was coming from, because I've always enjoyed swimming.

I will be swimming with the Masters Swim Team which is very exciting. I had a chance to talk to the swim coach yesterday to find out if it would suit my needs. He is a very nice guy, and encouraged me to come in and check out the sessions. I will be able to get the coaching and motivation I need to make this a good winter of training. The other cool part is that they make some trips to East Fork Lake to do some open water swimming during the summer. perrrrrrrfect.

No comments: