Thursday, November 23, 2006

11/23/2006 Thankgiving Day Race 10K



It's the final race of 2007! It's been an incredible year, and it's a bit sad to see it come to an end, but here's looking to another great year in '07! Before we begin to talk about plans for next year I want to put this year to rest right, not in this entry, but soon. For now it's all about the Thanksgiving Race.

My goal for the race was to keep it close to 7 minute/miles and possibly beat the my 10K PR set in September of 43:41. I had tempered my expectations for this race thinking the weather would be colder, and knowing that there would be friends there that I might want to run with during the race. Mostly I just wanted to have a good time, enjoy the beautiful day and burn some calories, so I could enjoy the multiple thanksgiving meals that I would be attending later in the day.

As with all races as the start drew closer thoughts of hanging out and running with friends disappeared and the call of the race took over. At the start line I decided I wanted to run the best race possible and let the rest take care of itself. During the race I was able to find a good pace, and a steady runner to keep an eye on and pace myself off, and I was using the chrono on my watch to mark my miles. I didn't really dwell on that during the run. I just wanted to keep a pace that was pushed just to the edge of being uncomfortable. It was an incredible run with the following results:

mile 1 & 2 13:08
mile 3 6:56
mile 4 6:56
mile 5 6:59
mile 6 6:44
mile 6.1 1:22
Total: 42:07.58

overall: 412 of 10559
division: 26 of 505
gender: 378 of 5196
Official Time: 42:05
pace: 6:47


For the last race fo the year I was so excited to exceed my own expectations and goals. It looks like 8 weeks of interval training really did payoff in a big way. I will never question the power of the interval again. I look forward to applying what I've learned here to my cycling and running next year.

No comments: