Monday, April 30, 2007

4/28/2007 Commuting

The first commute of the year is finally done. All the anticipation over the course of the spring, as chance after chance at commuting was washed away by rain, or sudden chilly turns in the weather was finally ended on a beautiful Sunday morning. By the time I got home I was reminded of all the things so great about commuting, and all those things that I could really do without. The best thing about commuting is that wonderful burst of energy after a great ride to work. It beats a great shower, caffeine, or just about anything else for great ways to get the mind and body in full swing.

Dist: 25.19 miles
Avg: 15.78 mph
Max: 32.1 mph
Time: 1:35.45

The commute home reminded me of some of the things that I don't particularly care for in bicycle commuting. First is the stiffness that comes after riding then sitting all day at a desk, then trying to ride again. That stiffness never seems to fully work itself out during the commute home most days. Then there are the drivers. It wasn't so much an issue on a Sunday commute, but just being out there reminded me of how inconsiderate and dangerous people driving home from work can be, especially in the dark. That was the final bad thing about the ride, except for the sore butt, was finishing up the ride in the dark.

I was prepared for the possibility that I would be in the dark with a headlight and a taillight, but it was still not so much fun. This won't be something I will do very often as the days get longer, and most of my commutes will hopefully be a little earlier. Thankfully, I won't be doing it very often.

Dist: 25.16 miles
Avg: 14.89 mph
Max: 28.4 mph
Time: 1:41.23

All in all, it was a great commute, and I look forward to getting in a lot of miles this year by way of commute.

No comments: