Thursday, February 15, 2007

2/13/2007 Short Recovery Run in the South Garage

It snowed, with some freezing rain, which turned into normal rain, which reverted back to freezing rain. It was bad enough that most businesses were shutting down including my gym. You'd think that would be enough for me to say; "hey today is a good day for an extra rest day." But I have a confession to make: "My name is Adam and I'm a running addict."

Instead of skipping a day of running I decided to take my lunch break and run in the garage. I ran up and down the ramps for 25 minutes. I have no real way of knowing how far I went as I was running up and down the ramps and crossing over the flat sections to avoid cars entering and exiting the garage. I'd say I did at least 2.5 miles as the incline isn't terribly steep and I kept at and easy but steady pace.

As I was running I began to wonder how smart this tactic really was for my health. I'm running in an enclosed space. Well there are openings along all the sides, but more enclosed than running open road. So, I'm running in this enclosed space with a bunch of cars that have recently left or recently entered the garage to park. Carbon monoxide anyone? At what point do the health risks outweigh the health benefits of running?

No comments: