Thursday, February 22, 2007

Signs of Spring and An Overbooked Race Schedule

As I walked out the door this morning I was greeted by a wonderful sight that I haven't seen at 6:30 am in a long time: the sun. That makes me really excited for a couple of reasons. First of all it is a sure sign that spring is near. Earlier sunrises also means I get to resume my early morning runs outside, and even better is that I'll get to start commuting on my bike again.

I am planning on starting as soon as I can. I don't need it to be warm, well maybe warm enough that it isn't snowing. What I really need is daylight, because I really respect those crazy enough to get out and commute regardless of the weather, but I am just not one of those people. Besides the roads and the drivers in this area are barely safe enough in daylight. I would truly be putting myself at risk by trying to commute in the dark on some of these roads. So here's to daylight!

Right now I'm facing some decisions that need to be made. There are too many races and too little time. I already know my "A" races for the year are going to be the races in the Wheelie Fun Series. That is not going to be a problem. Where I start to have some questions is in my secondary races. To my delight a trail running series has been added on this year. I've had a lot of fun doing the East Fork Backpack Trail Run the last couple of years. The idea of there being a "season" of trail running is so cool. Now I have to make a decision about what I'm going to do about Father's Day. I've got a Father's Day 5K that I like to do already. Do I want to ditch that race for the trail run? I think I might. There are lots of 5K races throughout the year. The idea of doing the Trail Series in its first year is more appealing....we'll see. The other possible problem I'm running into is the half marathon I have planned on April 14th as a warm up race for the Flying Pig Marathon. The first trail run falls on the 15th. Am I crazy enough to run a half marathon, and then turn and run the trail run the next day? probably. I'm sick like that.

No comments: