Monday, February 19, 2007

2/19/2007 A Long Run in Two Parts

The plan was to knock out a long run in the morning prior to work. I jetted out to the gym at what seemed an early enough time to get in the scheduled 10 mile run. Unfortunately by the time I got to the gym I was awake enough to realize that I had drastically underestimated the amount of time I would need to get to the gym, do the run, get showered and on to work. This was a problem. I started to think of ways to justify a shorter run. Well how much of a difference does 2 miles make? I'm not really feeling a 100% recovered yet, so maybe it's better that I go a little shorter today. Can I really justify being late to work because I needed to finish my long run? On and on I justified to myself as I ran the 8 miles in 1:08 at the mechanically set 8:34 pace.

All the justifications were negated as later in the day an opportunity presented itself to finish my run. The second half of the run came in the afternoon during a lunch break. The temperature had creeped up to the low 30's, which is practically tropical compared to the temperatures that we've been experiencing the last couple weeks. I cranked out an easy 3.5 miles in 30 min at a surprising and unplanned 8:34 pace. No kidding. I used the same course that I used on Saturday only there was a little less snow on the sidewalks which was nice.

No comments: