Thursday, February 01, 2007

2/01/2007 Goal Pace Run, Core & Spinning

Goal Pace Run - 6 A.M.

It's just another early morning treadmill run. The schedule called for a 6 mile today at my goal pace. So after a .5 mile warm up I set myself at a 7:13 pace and let it roll for the next 5 miles. I was very curious on what my heart rate would do over the course of the 6 miles, so I hit the lap button at every mile mark. It's a nice steady climb from mile to mile. I never felt like I was pushing too hard during the run. I was definitely pushing, but felt within my range for the run. I felt so good in fact that at mile 5 I kicked it up to about a 6:45 pace and crushed that last mile. It felt really, really good. The hamster wheel can be so boring that any change in pace is welcome. After blowing threw the 6 miles I had a nice easy walking .5 mile cool down.

Avg HR: 158
Peak HR: 176
Min HR: 103
Total Cal: 764
Mile 1: 7:14 Avg HR: 150
Mile 2: 7:11 Avg HR: 156
Mile 3: 7:09 Avg HR: 159
Mile 4: 7:11 Avg HR: 161
Mile 5: 7:11 Avg HR: 164
Mile 6: 6:45 Avg HR: 170


I'm trying not to over analyze every little workout, but at this point holding a 7:15 pace for 3+ hours seems highly unlikely. Does that mean I'm giving up on my goal of a 3:15 marathon? Not really, but it might mean working out a good strategy to achieve it. It's not realistic to think that I can go out there and run full speed for that amount of time. I need to work on starting at a slower pace and working up. I want to be strong at the end.

Core Training - 6 P.M.

Core training feels so good some days after a long day of desk jockeying and driving. After a good 8 or 9 ours behind the computer I feel...compacted. So to get those back muscles, core muscles, arm muscles and everything else engaged and stretched out is a godsend. Don't get me wrong it still hurts like a mother, but in a good way.

Spinning - 6:30 P.M.

I'm not sure what this class would be labeled: endurance, intervals? It was a lot of fun, so certainly it couldn't be endurance right? During the 60 minute session we went around the class and each person that wanted to "took the lead" in the pace line for a minute, and then later in the class it dropped to 45 seconds and 30 seconds. Instead of being in my own head the entire time I was more aware of the people around me that I was riding with much like you would be riding in a group or paceline on the road. It made the time move along a little more quickly and gave a little extra incentive to work harder. It was much needed since this was my third and final workout of the day. At the 30 minute mark I was feeling pretty wasted, and decided to lighten up on the resistance a bit. During the last 15 minutes I got a nice recovery kick though and was right back into it as we pulled the paceline to the finish.

I think this would be more of an interval class.

No comments: