Wednesday, January 31, 2007

1/31/2007 Medium Recovery Run & Endurance Spinning

Medium Recovery Run

I decided to do my medium recovery run on the hamster wheel today. Mostly it was because I wanted to catch a spinning class after the run thereby fulfilling my brick training day, and partly because I was being a sissy and didn't want to run or ride in the cold. It's all good. In the interest of time I did the run first. It took about 42 minutes to do the 5 miles. I planted myself at an 8 minute pace and threw in 3 hill climbs with a 7% grade. I maintained the 8 minute/mile pace for the 1/4 mile hills.

I was using my heart rate monitor, but it was doing some funky things. One minute it would be reading what seemed like a normal heart rate for my exertion. It would suddenly drop out to below 100 or jump to over 200. Needless to say, the heart rate info was useless.

Endurance Spinning

I finished up my run just in time to cruise on down to a spinning class. It was kind of a boring endurance class with stretches of 8 to 10 minutes of varying levels of tension. As boring as these endurance sessions can be I try to stay focused and visualizing the road and the race courses of the duathlons. If I can stay focused and visualize the courses I think it will give me an advantage when I actually get out there. That is what the cycling portion of the triathlon/duathlon race is endurance. I'm not going to win a race in this section. I'm not doing any sprints to the finish, but if I can get through it with a descent time and plenty of gas left in my legs for the run. Well, that would just be fantastic. It was 60 minutes of endurance spinning.

No comments: