Sunday, January 21, 2007

1/20/2007 Short Recovery Run & Early Assessment

Saturday I put on my training schedule a brick day with some cycling and a short recovery run. I've made this schedule knowing that I have to be flexible about things, and sometimes I just can't do all that I hope. This is one of those days. I ended up working early; it was quite cold, and I just feel kind of wiped out. The combinations of excuses lead me to doing only the recovery run. It is what it is, and I'm not going to feel bad about missing a workout, because it was during this run that I began to re-think my marathon training.

Before I get into that let's knock out the stats for this particular run. I made an effort to run sloooow. The goal was to keep my heart rate in the 130's, which I did. I ran for 30 minutes for a total of 2.6 miles. It was fairly cold in the mid 30's and sunny. I ran on the Lunken Airport path, so it was a nice flat easy recovery run. It was just what I needed.

I was listening to Simply Stu the other day, and he was talking to a trainer about lactate threshold. More specifically what caught my attention was that they were talking about intensity levels of longer workouts for endurance athletes. It's interesting information, and something that I need to explore further. The short of it is that I am running to fast with too high of a heart rate on my recovery and long runs. I need to be slowing down to get below my lactate threshold. It is going to be the key to building my endurance for the marathon. It is something I need read more about. More to come...

No comments: