Wednesday, January 17, 2007

1/17/2007 Medium Recovery Run & Cycling

Medium Recovery Run with Bonus Intervals

My medium recovery run was at Central Park on their lovely walking/jogging path. It's so nice to get off the road on to a path that even has some varying terrain. A few small hills and dips to keep it interesting. Plus I had the added excitement of ice! yikes. It was in the high 20's and there was some fairly large ice patches, so I had to stay on my toes to avoid an unfortunate slip. Since I'm going to be doing some races before the flying pig I'm starting on some speed training now. I'll be doing 400's for a while until the marathon plan ramps it up to 800's. On this particular day I ran 4 - 1.25 mile laps with a 1.1 mile path to and from the parking lot. During the laps I picked up the pace for some 90 second intervals instead of 400's since I was on the path and there weren't any 1/4 mile markers. The total run was a 51:36 min run at 7.2 miles / 7:10 pace with 4x 90 sec intervals.

I ran my heart rate monitor throughout my run and bike. Here is the breakdown:

Avg HR: 138
Peak HR: 174
Min HR: 57
Total Cal: 2,225
Rcl 1: 30:08 Avg HR: 149 (Run)
Rcl 2: 13:35 Avg HR: 159 (Run)
Rcl 3: 7:53 Avg HR: 168 (Run)
Rcl 4: 19:17 Avg HR: 116 (Transition)
Rcl 5: 2:07.35 Avg HR: 137 (Cycling)

19 minute transition, what? This wasn't a true transition like I'd shoot for during a duathlon or triathlon. Did I mention that it was freezing that day? Well after the run I was nice and warmed up to be sure, but I was also nice and sweaty. I stripped down to just my base layer of tights and compression shirt and layered up again with my cycling clothes. I layered up with 3 layers on the legs, 3 layers on top, my lobster claw gloves and a thick balaclava type head cover (not really made for cycling, but with the drawstrings it worked pretty well) under my helmet.

Cycling: Hills, Hills, and Hills


As I was riding into the first of 5 climbs I was going to take on "Evil Twins" was sprayed on to the road. Oh how fitting, as it marked the beginning of two consecutive long climbs with the downhill in between and about 50 feet of road before you start the second climb. They are truly evil...and my favorite hill training partners. I probably won't be able to ride them a lot since they are in Northern Kentucky, about a 40 minute drive from my house, but I will use them when I can.

So I did the evil twins going out with a downhill after the second twin, and rode a few miles down the road in the river valley that follow the hills. Then I turned around and tackled the trip back which were 3 more hills! The evil triplets, quintuplets? It's not as catchy as the evil twins.

2007 Odo: 84.3
Dist: 25.33 miles
Time: 1:55.38
Avg: 13.1 mph
Max: 36.5 mph

No comments: