Monday, January 29, 2007

1/28/2007 Long Run

30 degrees doesn't sound so bad especially considering the conditions that mountain climbers regularly endure in the book I'm reading No Shortcuts to the Top by Ed Viesturs. Reading about temperatures and conditions that will cause you frostbite on exposed skin within minutes really puts things in perspective. How could I not go out on my long run just because of a little cold and snow. Some extra layers and Phedippidations on the iPod to keep my mind off the cold, and I was good to go.

The only thing I didn't think about was visibility. If I decide to do some snow running again I'll have to be prepared with some sort of glasses to keep the snow out of my eyes. It was more of an annoyance than anything, but it could've been more than annoyance if I didn't see some ice and busted my ass.

Distance: 11 miles
Avg. HR: 144
Max HR: 170
Total Time: 1:37.05
Pace: 8:49 min/mile

The pace was a little faster than I had intended, but I felt very comfortable the whole time. I tried to keep my heart rate down, but I was in a heightened state with the snow, and the fear of slipping. I still felt relatively relaxed and good with the pace.

No comments: