Tuesday, January 23, 2007

1/23/2007 Strength & Short Recovery Run

Strength Training

I was feeling a bit sore this morning from the long run yesterday. The strength training felt pretty good in getting my muscles warmed up and stretched out. I can really see where these particular exercises are beneficial to cyclists and runners. A couple of areas that are the most sore, around my knees and hips, are targets for strength. muy good.

Elliptical = 10 minutes on Fat Burning
JC Bands Lunges with rows, Grey Bands - 15 each side.
Wall sit:
2 sets bicep curls 20 lbs. = 75 seconds each
2 sets shoulder press 20 lbs. = 75 seconds each
Walking lunges = width of court/back doing lat raises with 15lb. wts.
Hip adductor = 2 sets/12 reps 105 lbs.
Hip abductor = 2 sets/12 reps 105 lbs.
Clamshell Crunches with 10 lb. ball = 2x25

Short Recovery Run

While I was at the gym I decided to do my short recovery run on the hamster wheel (treadmill). I felt a little stiff and sore in all the right places from Monday's long run. Actually, I don't know if I even mentioned why I moved my long run to Monday in my last post. The short answer is I felt like crap on Sunday. I decided to push the long run to Monday and get in an extra rest day. In hindsight it was the right decision. I felt much better on Monday and even though I was stiff on Tuesday's workout I wasn't in any real pain. Listening to my body and resting when my body tells me to is going to be key in not getting hurt.

I kept about a 9 minute pace for 3 miles for a total of 27 minutes. I kept an eye on my heart rate and it stayed in the mid to high 130's during the run.

No comments: