Wednesday, February 21, 2007

2/21/2007 Medium Recovery Run

So let's try to look at the bright side. What are good reasons to hit the hamster wheel at the gym rather than running on the roads? It was a hills day, so I was able to run exactly .25 mile hills at exactly a 6% grade at exactly the pace I wanted to run. I would have had to get out on the road at 6:30 this morning while it was dark and cold. I wasn't going to get hit by a car on the hamster wheel. There's no ice on the hamster wheel to fall and bust my ass on, or worse.

If I'm going to do any running on the hamster wheel I think I'd prefer to do hill repeats or speed work. At least there is something to break up the monotony of going nowhere fast. I started with a 1 mile warm up and then jumped into the 6 1/4 mile hill repeats with 1/4 mile flats in between. I maintained about an 8:34 pace throughout the hill repeats. Following that I finished off with a quick mile at an 8 minute pace and a 1/4 mile cool down for a total of 5 1/4 miles run that took 48 minutes.

No comments: