Sunday, September 10, 2006

9/09/2006 Running & Softball Tournament


Running

In true Adam fashion now that I've decided to start the 8 week training program for the Thanksgiving Day Race I've kind of become obsessed a bit with it and will probably be starting the basic workouts with 3 day a week runs a little early(Long run, paced run, intervals). It is actually what I should've been doing all summer, but you know how that goes, intervals aren't really that fun, so it was easy to skip those.

I did a long run yesterday. It turned out to be one of the most enjoyable runs I've done all year. Using the suggestions for the program I kept my pace fairly slow. It turned out to be a little more of a moderate pace, but I felt comfortable with the pace. I could've easily carried on a conversation during the run, and felt that I could've kept going even at the end of the run. I found the trick for me was to load up the mp3 player with some mid-tempo to slow tempo songs (and a few fast for variety) and concentrate on sort of matching the tempo of the song. It was also an incredibly beautiful morning, so taking my time and enjoying the day was helpful.

Some of the tracks I was listening to while running:


Birds of a Feather - Phish
KT Tunstall - Black Horse & The Cherry Tree
Pickin' up the Pieces - Widespread Panic
High Speed - Coldplay
Saving Grace - Tom Petty
All These Things that I've Done - The Killers
Holes to Heaven - Jack Johnson
Smiley Faces - Gnarls Barkley
Last Tube - Trey Anastasio
Daylight Robbery - Imogen Heap
Shut Your Eyes - Snow Patrol

This was a nice long 7 mile run, and here are some stats from my hrm.

Distance: 7 miles
Avg HR: 157
Peak HR: 240 (have to question this reading)
Min HR: 83
Total Cal: 1048
Time: 1:04.05


I ran my typical route looping through Meghan's Run then down the hill to Rt. 222 to 132 up the hill and back toward home. I did a second loop through Meghan's Run to finish with 7 miles. Like I said I was comfortable the whole time, except for maybe the last mile I could feel my calves tightening up a bit and my right knee aching just a bit. It's not really surprising though for this distance.


Softball Tournament

The softball tournament was a lot of fun. I was able to play in the first two games, before leaving to go to my daughter's soccer game. We had about 20 players, so I didn't get to play a full game in either game. I did get to bat once in each game and pulled a single and a triple. I don't think I'm going to be running out to join a softball league anytime soon, but I'd definitely be up to play if it happens again next year! That's me cracking my triple! woo hoo!

No comments: