Saturday, September 30, 2006

9/30/2006 Final Prep for Little Miami

The clothes are layed out. The race number is secured to the strap and layed with the clothes. The Clif Shots flavors have been chosen (orange cream, strawberry, and mocha). The bananas are secured to prevent cramps. The bike was taken out for one final ride to loosen up and listen for any problems.

Odo: 1563.2 miles
Dist: 9.83 miles
Time: 39.22
Avg: 14.9 mph
Max: 30.1 mph

The bike was then cleaned and prepared. The tools, pump, helmet, gloves were secured with the bike so I can grab them later on and put them in the car for the early start. The hydration plan is ready. I've gone over the course map; particularly the kayak part on gmap pedometer so that I can pick out some points along the route as markers for distance. That is the worst part of the race being out in the kayak and having absolutely no clear indication as to how many miles I've travelled or how far there is to go. I can add it to my list of reasons to seriously consider GPS technology for racing and training.

The plan for the race is to get up at 5:30 and get something to eat, bagel, maybe some eggs for breakfast. I'll then get my items secured in the car and head over to my buddy's house that is also racing and pray that he is ready on time. Hopefully we'll be on our way by 6:30 and arrive at Fort Ancient by 7:30. That will give me an hour to set up my bike, maybe cruise for a minute and make any last minute adjustments, get my kayak and paddle secured, and stretch. Start time is 8:34 am. Now it's just the hard part. I wait.

No comments: