Wednesday, September 13, 2006

9/13/2006 Bicycling

After a couple of days of pouring rain I caught a break today and nothing was going to stop me from getting out for some cycling miles! I really wanted to get out and ride to see how my neck was feeling as well. Monday, while I was at the gym, something in my neck popped. Actually, the source of the pain seemed to come more from just above my scapula, but it hurt all the way up through my neck and is not allowing me full range of motion especially looking to the left. This can be especially troublesome when trying to spot traffic over my left shoulder, as I found out today. All in all it was okay, other than trying to look over my left shoulder, for the first 15 miles, but got stiff and sore toward the end. Hopefully with a couple of days off the bike it will be okay for my big ride on Saturday!

Back to the ride, I took the short loop around Rt. 222, to Owensville with the added on trip down Benton Rd. and back. It was a cool, but windy day. I faced a strong head wind on many of the flat stretches. It was tough riding, but I was really happy with how I was able to handle it. Last year or the year before I would've been lucky to hold a 14-15 mph avg. on a good day, but now I was able to keep up a good pace of 18-19 mph in the head wind and keep up the average above 16 mph even with the hills.

Odo: 1400.8 miles
Dist: 28.53 miles
Time: 1:43.17
Avg: 16.5 mph
Max: 36.5 mph

No comments: