Tuesday, September 19, 2006

9/19/2006 Going Long

I had some time today while I was waiting for my daughter to get out of school, so I decided to go to a local park and check out there running/walking path. It was an absolutely stunning day of 65 degrees and sunny. Two days off after the century ride and I am ready to go again. Actually, I hadn't intended to take 2 days off but that is just how things worked out with scheduling. I think it was for the best, because I needed to lay off a bit and recover.

For my first workout I decided to do a nice long slow run. The running/walking trail was flat with a few rolling hills, but nothing major at all. It was the perfect setting to put on some nice long leisurely miles. I guess it was because the course was so flat, or maybe the combination of that and the beautiful day, but I had the best run I've had all year. I put in a very solid 7.5 miles in about 60 minutes. I did start to feel some pain in my knees in the last mile which concerned me a bit. This mileage is a bit above what I usually do, so I'm hoping if I keep at it and I'll get used to the distance. If I don't get used to it that could be a problem for my plans for a spring marathon. Since I was feeling some pain I stopped at 7.5 miles and walked another 2.2 miles for a total run/walk of 9.7 miles in 90 minutes.

No comments: