Wednesday, August 02, 2006

8/02/2006 Strength Training & Running

Strength Training

This was a much needed workout day. I was having a low energy day yesterday, and very easily could have been a lazy couch potato all day if I wouldn't have gotten to the gym. It was so hot outside and I had a day off so there really wasn't any reason to go outside. Pile on to that the fact that I was having a bad morning and it could've easily turned into a do-nothing day. I'm glad that I got out and did the workout. It left me in a better frame of mind. I decided to double up and do some running.

eliptical = 15 minutes on Fat Burning
JC Bands Lunges with rows, Blue Bands - 12 each side.
Wall sit w/20 lb. wts.
bicep curls = 90 seconds
shoulder press = 90 seconds
walking lunges = width of court/back doing lat raises with 15lb. wts
hip adductor=2 sets/12 reps 90 lbs.
hip abductor=2 sets/12 reps 90 lbs.
lower leg raise w/overhead 8lb (abs) 2x25


Running

Since it's been entirely too long I decided to run some intervals. I'm gonna try to get some more of these in as preparation for the remaining races this year. I was also interested in how I would feel doing the intervals and how my times would hold up. Earlier in the year when I tried these I would wear out pretty quickly. I'm very happy with the results. I ran 1/2 mile intervals for 3 miles. The first interval was the slow and second fast as is pretty clear from the splits. I was able to maintain a consistent pace throughout and even kick it a little on the last split. I would've been pretty happy with this time as a race time last year, so to see it as a training time is great. It's little things that keep me motivated!

In Zone: 5:42 I set it for zone 5 (171-190) so it appears I overestimated what my heart rate would be.
Avg HR: 160 bpm
Peak HR: 181 bpm
Min HR: 103
Total Cal: 402

1st split: 4:25
2nd split: 3:27
3rd split: 4:34
4th split: 3:26
5th split: 4:36
6th split: 3:21

Total Time: 23:47

2 min. Recover
177 bpm - 119 bpm

No comments: