Tuesday, August 08, 2006

8/08/2006 Running

I decided to do the unimaginable today, well at least unimaginable to some people. I decided to go for a run at noon. I had intended to get out and run earlier in the morning, but working until 1 am isn't very condusive to getting up and running first thing in the morning. So, after a bit of a lazy morning I decided it had to be done before I go in to work.

I went for a short, fast run today. I figured the less time I spend out in the heat the better. It was a relatively short run at 4.0 miles and, not as fast as I'd like, but considering the heat keeping 8 minute miles was fast enough. I jogged out the first 1/2 mile to warm up and get my legs loose. I then picked it up to approximately 8 minute miles for the rest of the run. I was able to maintain the pace for most of the run until the last mile when I could feel the heat starting to wear on my mind. In my mind I started to play the little game. Oh okay you can stop now. It's very hot, and you've run far enough. I must say that I won the game. Instead of stopping I picked up the pace and kept on running. I even finished it off with an alright sprint.

As a side note I was listening to my new mix while running today, and even though I didn't put it together specifically for workout purposes it works out pretty well. There is one exception when it comes to running. Maybe it was just the mixture of heat and mind games that got to me but Manic Depression by Jimi Hendrix, a song that I normally love to hear, just got on my nerves. It just wasn't happening for me today. The rest of the mix was a lot of fun to listen to while running.

Some Stats:

Avg HR: 169
Peak HR: 186
Min HR: 115
Total Cal: 493
Split 1: 7:56 1 mile 1
Split 2: 10:38 2.5 mile
Split 3: 8:07 1 mile
Total 26:42

1 comment:

Tuco said...

Holy cow, I took a look at your music mix, and that's some pretty heavy stuff! : ) I was on a girl's blog who was talking about listening to the Beach Boys and Jimmy Buffet during her spinning class, and I thought that was pretty cool.
Run hot but drink your water!