Thursday, August 10, 2006

8/10/2006 More Commuting

After yesterday's commute I was feeling pretty good. I felt so good that I decided I would get another day of commuting in today. I was wondering how it would go over since this is the first time I've done it two days in a row. Typically even when I do my workouts I alternate them so I run one day, then bike, then weights. I was pretty sure that I would be sore this morning. Surprisingly I was not. I got up at 5 am, ate a good breakfast and hit the road. I was able to keep up a good pace.

Odo: 1028.3 miles
Dist: 25.30 miles
Time: 1:30.30
Avg: 16.8 mph
Max: 28.8 mph


Once again there were predictions of thunderstorms for just about the time I was to make my commute home. Once again I dodged the bullet. I was just behind the front as it rolled through the city, so I got some wet roads and jittery drivers but no rain. I ditched my backpack at work in case it did rain, so I wouldn't be carrying an extra 20 lbs. of wet backpack. That made the ride quite a bit easier and more fun. The final hill was the most interesting part of the ride. The hell hill that usually kicks my butt, and I can only crawl up in the easiest gear is finally starting to crack under the pressure of repeated ridings. I was able to keep up a good pace by attacking the hill instead of approaching in a more timid manor like I usually do. It was still tough because it was wet and slick so my back wheel kept slipping. I was able to combat it a bit by shifting my weight back, but it only helped marginally.

Odo: 1056.5 miles
Dist: 52.91 miles
Time: 3:11.57
Avg: 16.5 mph
Max: 28.8 mph

1 comment:

Tuco said...

I miss my "killer hill" that I did on my first route. The new route I'm doing, which is much shorter and faster, is more or less flat.
My theory with hills is to hit them with as much momentum as I can, and shift all the way down into the proper gear I'll need for climbing just as my momentum is dying. I hate fiddling with the gears when I've got the chain under serious hill-climbing pressure.
What kind of bike do you have?