Thursday, August 17, 2006

8/17/2006 Bicycle Commuting

The morning commute was fine. There was nothing terribly exciting here. I got up, I dressed, I rode. The end.

Odo: 1121.5 miles
Dist: 25.23 miles
Time: 1:32.17
Avg: 16.4mph
Max: 33.4 mph

The commute home was slightly more eventful, but in an entirely stupid way. I decided to ditch my back pack at work again, since I knew I wasn't riding in Friday morning. I filled up my jersey pockets with the things that were necessities, wallet, iPod, glasses, cell phone... in zip lock bags to keep them dry. Besides spare tube and the usual essentials I've found the most useful thing I can carry is a couple of extra zip lock bags to store stuff in that need to stay dry from either possible rain or definite sweat.

So, I jetted off minus a backpack, but plus pockets loaded. Apparently I was not very careful with stowing my glasses. I should mention with my glasses that have brand new lenses from a brand new prescription. As I was leaving they jumped out of my back pocket and on to the road. I didn't notice and went on my merry way. A good 30 minutes later I reached in my back pocket to check things and had a minor, although not life threatening, heart attack. By the time I had back tracked to where they escaped at least one car made them much flatter for me. I guess the good thing is that I got to work out my frustration with myself and my stupidity on the bike, so I'm not really beating myself up over it anymore.

Odo: 1146.8 miles
Distance: 50.6 miles
Time: 3:10.03
Avg: 16.7 mph
Max: 33.4 mph

No comments: