Wednesday, August 09, 2006

8/09/2006 Commuting by Bike


I had a great ride in this morning! It was relatively cool and cloudy, so I was very comfortable the entire ride. The new wheels felt fantastic and smooth the entire way, and I credit them for a much faster ride than I've had in the past on commutes. I checked the average at the end of the ride, it was 17 mph time 1hour 20 minutes, but I forgot to take the computer off the bike. It continued to run as I was pushing it into the building and down the hallway. It's neither here nor there, because the ride felt amazing and that is what really matters. Even with only 5 hours of sleep I now feel wide awake and ready to work.

Odo: 975.5 miles
Dist: 25.29 miles
Time: 1:30:20
Avg: 16.7 mph
Max: 34.6 mph

I'm gonna crack the 1000 mile mark this afternoon! I'm very happy to be getting in so many miles this year, and it's really just half over. As we go into September I'm gonna try to up my number of commutes to twice a week. Between the commutes and my planned century I may very well break 2000 miles by the end of the year!

Commute Total:
Odo: 1,003.6 miles
Dist: 53.42 miles
Time: 3:15:39
Avg: 16.3 mph
Max: 34.6 mph


The ride home was sweet. It was fairly cloudy but not raining, so that kept the heat down a bit. As I hit about 997 miles the clouds broke open and the sun shined down on those last few miles. It got me pretty pumped up. Now I'm looking forward to upping my commuting miles and a couple of centuries. Maybe I'll hit 2,000 miles by the end of the year.

2 comments:

Kate said...

wow, I'm impressed. I USED to bike like that, until I was 21 and lost use of the old knees to arthritis.

so how long does it actually TAKE to do the commute, on a good day? It's gotta be around 90 minutes!

Unknown said...

Hey Dorid glad to see you stop by! It takes around 90 minutes each way. It sounds like a long commute, (and it seems like it some days) but considering it can take me an hour on heavy traffic days by car I don't think it's a bad tradeoff!