Monday, August 14, 2006

8/13 - 8/14/2006 Kayaking & Strength Training

8/13/2006 Kayaking


Sunday Rick and I were able to get out on the kayaks and do some work in preparation for the Little Miami Triathlon. It is, by far, the event I have been looking forward to the most this year. A big reason that I've been doing any strength training or spending any time in the gym this summer is to build some upper body strength for the kayaking portion of the race. Otherwise, I would've probably just stuck with running and bicycling to get my exercise all summer.

It was a beautiful morning, and we spent about 90 minutes out on the water and paddles 2.75 miles according to the good ol' gmap-pedometer. For the most part it felt fairly good. My shoulders started aching, but I was able to work through it and find a nice, steady pace and get it loosened up. I know I won't be setting any records in the kayaking portion of the race. I just want to feel comfortable enough to get through that part of the race with a reasonable time, so that I can make it up on the run and bike. I really want to crush my time from last year and more than that beat my friends this year! Is that so wrong?

Of course, we weren't working hard the whole time. There was some paddling and then some relaxing. It was such a great morning, we couldn't help but take some time to enjoy it.

8/14/2006 Strength Training

It was another day in the gym. I increased the weight on the hipp adductor/abductor by 5 lbs. Next week I'll be increasing the bicep curl and shoulder press time. I'm going to split it up into two one minute sets for each. That way I can get in two complete sets for each workout.

elliptical = 10 minutes on Fat Burning
JC Bands Lunges with rows, Blue Bands - 12 each side.
Wall sit w/20 lb. wts.
bicep curls = 90 seconds
shoulder press = 90 seconds
walking lunges = width of court/back doing lat raises with 15lb. wts
hip adductor=2 sets/12 reps 95 lbs.
hip abductor=2 sets/12 reps 95 lbs.
clamshell crunch w/overhead 8lb ball 2x25


No comments: