Saturday, August 19, 2006

8/19/2006 Preparing for Caesar Creek

I spent the morning cleaning road grime off my bike, cleaning the chain, and fixing a punctured tube. I was very careful this time to find the culprit that caused the puncture, so I don't have another multiple puncture issue like I did earlier in the summer. As it turns out there was a tiny sliver of glass wedged in the tire. It wasn't even poking through as I felt along the inside, but it must have either broken off in the tube or the pressure while on the road pushed it just enough to puncture. It was such a small one that it was a slow leak that I had to use water to find. I'm really glad that I found it before tomorrow's race!

I am returning to Caesar Creek one final time this summer for a duathlon tomorrow. On the previous outings I've had some success on this course. Not to mention that it is just a very nice course in and around one of the state parks. Check it out! Anyway, I was able to improve upon my time by nearly 4 minutes the 2nd time on the course despite a slightly longer bike course.

4/23/06 5K/20K/5K 1:34:30
7/09/06 5K/22K/5K 1:30:33

I'm hoping to improve upon that time one more time and break the one hour 30 minute barrier. Actually, I don't know why I should even look at it that way. I'm going to have fun and try to use my new mental exercise, "Think light!" Just be positive in the knowledge that I'm lighter, faster, and better prepared than ever. Man I'm going to crush that one and 30 minute time! :)


Update on the century ride. At this point I am most likely going to skip the September 2nd ride, or do something less than a century if I want to ride with a couple of friends that might go. I have to work at 2pm. With the hour drive to get there and back I might not make it in time, plus I want to be able to enjoy the ride without constantly worrying about my time. I do enough worrying about time during races. I just want to enjoy this time on the bike. I am definitely doing one on the 16th! I've confirmed that I have the day off work, and The Oxford Odyssey is all lined up!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow you took another 2 min off your best time...looks great. I'd be happy to get the run/walks in in that time. I'm going to try and train for a 5K. I'm hoping I can work through some past foot and achilles tendon problems.